Evan Carmichael and his team are relentlessly focused on keeping YouTube Audience Retention above 70% at the one-minute mark.
WHY DO THIS?
- Videos with higher audience retention get ranked higher on YouTube, so they get more views.
- YouTube promotes videos with more watch time.
- “If you can get people to stick around for one minute, they’re way more likely to watch the whole video.” – Evan Carmichael
- Tim Schmoyer’s 50% YouTube AUDIENCE RETENTION Strategy
- YOUTUBE AUDIENCE RETENTION – VidIQ’s Liron Segev
- TUBEBUDDY’s Retention Analyzer (with Andrew Kan) – Grow Your Channel
BEFORE YOU BEGIN, KNOW THIS:
- You can’t make people watch for more than one second longer than they want to.
- Audience retention for a given video can be found in YouTube Studio.
- Audience retention for most videos at 1 minute is less than 50%.
- Audience retention data is delayed 48+ hours, it’s not live data.
- To find a video’s audience retention, go to YouTube Studio under Analytics in either Overview and Engagement tabs.
- Click on “See More.” This will give you a larger graph.
- Roll your cursor over 1:00 in the graph. This will tell you what percentage of viewers are still watching at this point.
Higher audience retention at 1 minute will get you more views, subscriber growth, recommendations by YouTube, and suggested video clicks overall.
Dane Golden is CEO of VidiUp, a video content marketing agency. At VidiUp we help you up your game on YouTube for business and transform your viewers into loyal customers.